J still has the occasional accident, but given that it is probably less than once a month now, I think we have finally cracked the bedwetting thing. It’s taken till he was 10 though which was an awful long time. We tried to implement some of the advice given, but it mostly didn’t work for us in practice. I think in the end, he was just ready.
Drinking more was supposed to expand his bladder, but he only managed to drink the amount he was supposed to on a few days at a time. To be honest the main problem was he wasn’t drinking enough at school and there wasn’t enough time to make up the difference the rest of the day, especially as I didn’t want him drinking a lot right before bed time. I do think schools could do more to encourage kids to drink, but it just doesn’t seem to be on their list of priorities. The amount of fluid J drinks some days at school is very small and can’t be enough for good concentration and general health. Often the water bottle comes back and I’m not sure it’s been drunk from at all to be honest. He does have another bottle with his lunch – annoyingly the school don’t provide water for those having sandwiches – and again that doesn’t seem to go down very much either.
The bedwetting alarm was something we tried too, but I really don’t think it made that much difference if at all. It was something we tried because the nurse said we should and I guess it’s something they like to try before they do a doctor’s referral to a consultant. Anyway it had proved to be a bit of a pain with the battery compartment cover falling off and having to hide it when friends came round to play. So back to the school nurse it’s gone today.